No matter which model you have—standalone, chest, top freezer—it’s an appliance that needs to be maintained with care to maximize its functionality. That’s why it’s essential to know the proper techniques to care for your appliance in this Vegas heat. Your food will always be at the risk of getting spoilt even if your freezer is running, but not running at its best.
5 Tips to Keep Your Freezer in Immaculate Condition
Here are a few tips to help you keep your freezer top-notch:
- Just like the rest of your kitchen, you should also keep your freezer clean. This doesn’t require a lot of explanation, but just be sure to clean the surface with a dish rag; use a deodorizer to get rid of leftover smells from stored foods; clean pipes, and seals too. the interiors and exteriors should all be cleaned thoroughly.
- Frost build-up is normal, but it’s necessary to clean it out every once in a while. As a rule of thumb—especially for freezers that require manual defrosting—when there is a half an inch of frost lining the walls, it’s time to clear out and unplug. Remove all the food placed inside and switch off the power source before unplugging it. Let all the ice melt on its own, do not scrape because that can damage the machine. It takes anywhere from a few hours to the entire day to melt. Wait for it to dry before restoring your food items and plugging back in.
- Keep freezer full, or half-full at all times. As ridiculous as it may sound, it’s true because frozen foods do a better job of regulating temperatures and maintaining the cold, leaving your unit less burdened.
- Check up on the seals and gasket regularly. If you catch your freezer not keeping cool, it could be because of a leak.
- The exterior maintenance is also important to remember when taking care of your freezer. Wipe it down and clean it with a wash-cloth on a regular basis so as to keep the paint looking fresh. The sooner you clean up spills, the less likely they are to stain.
While your thinking about your freezer, don’t forget to consider scheduling professional maintenance for your home or business heating and cooling system with Mastermind Mechanical LLC in Las Vegas.